What if my cart is stolen, damaged or destroyed?

The wheeled cart is the property of the City of Pembroke Pines and must not be painted, abused, mutilated, altered, or modified in any way. If the cart is damaged or stolen, the following policy applies: If the damage is your fault, you will be required to pay for a replacement. For example, any cart that is destroyed by hot ashes or coals shall be the responsibility of the customer, and it shall be replaced at the customer’s expense. If the collection contractor damages your cart it will be replaced at no charge. Please contact Waste Pro at (954)967-4200 to replace your green garbage cart. 

Show All Answers

1. What do I put in my garbage cart and how often is it collected?
2. What is the Holiday Schedule for Sanitation, Recycling and Bulk Trash Pick-up?
3. Is there a special service for disabled persons?
4. How do I dispose of trash that doesn’t fit in my cart?
5. How do I dispose of bulky recyclables?
6. Where do I put my household recyclables?
7. When do I place my cart at curbside for pickup?
8. Where do I place the cart on collection day?
9. What if I don’t know my garbage or recycling collection day?
10. What happens if a family moves?
11. How often will garbage, recycling, and bulk items be collected?
12. What about parking on collection days?
13. What if my cart is stolen, damaged or destroyed?
14. What is the serial number stamped on my cart?
15. How do I dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) such as paint and motor oil?